By Maria Wheeler, Key Club International Vice President
As October approaches, so does the excitement of Halloween! But Halloween isn’t just about costumes and candy; it’s also an opportunity to give back to those in need through the time-honored tradition of Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF. This initiative, which has been running for over 70 years, is a simple yet incredibly effective way to make a difference in the lives of children around the world.
This year, Key Club International has chosen to direct our efforts toward Start Strong: Zambia. A partnership with UNICEF, this initiative helps ensure that every child in Zambia gets the best possible start in life. By providing access to proper nutrition, education and healthcare, we can make a lasting impact on the futures of countless kids.
Why join us?
Funds make a real difference in Zambia. As Builders Club members, your participation will help make an impact.
Tips for getting involved
Participating in Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF is simple:
- Watch our videos. Your club can view two videos that tell you about UNICEF and the Start Strong: Zambia project.
- Plan a fundraiser. Brainstorm creative ways to engage your club, school or community in Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF. You could organize a costume contest, a candy collection or a spooky-themed fundraiser.
- Spread the word. Use social media, flyers and word-of-mouth to let your community know about your campaign and its cause. Reach out to your sponsoring Kiwanis club.
- Collect donations. Encourage friends, family and community members to donate — and remind them of the incredible impact their contributions will have on children in Zambia. Use the canister wrapper if you go trick-or-treating with family and friends.
- Turn in your money. Have members gather their money and count how much they raised. Even US$10.80 can provide three students in Côte d’Ivoire with UNICEF backpacks to carry their school supplies. Your club advisor can use this gift form to turn in the money.
Let’s rally our communities, share our collective passion for service and make a substantial contribution to Start Strong: Zambia through Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF.
Together, we can ensure that children in Zambia start strong and build brighter futures. We can’t wait to see the impact we’ll make together!