The Builders Club at St. Mary School, Bordentown, New Jersey, started its second year with a few repeat projects from the past year:
- The club sponsored a dress-down day to raise money for the Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer research. Club members also walked the streets of Bordentown, distributing pink ribbons to raise awareness of the disease.
- The club also followed up last year's “Souper Bowl” with a “Cereal Bowl” food-collection drive. The club donated over a thousand canned goods to the parish food pantry from last year’s event. This year they donated boxes of cereal and other boxed nonperishables.
The club then entered its busiest season though. After the very successful Mother/Son Dance, we moved on to do several events:
- During the spring, the club raised funds through the sale of Earth Day shirts and invested that money—and their time—in the school beautification project.
- The second annual Easter Egg Hunt was a fun, family event that raised money toward this year’s Builders Club scholarship for an outgoing 8th grader.
- The club also planned its first ever Mother's Day Tea Party, honoring moms, grandmas, aunts and other significant ladies. Students are volunteering for the Sesame Place Run, coordinated by our sponsoring Kiwanis Club of Levittown-Bristol, Pennsylvania.
- Plans are in the works to stencil a 20-foot by 30-foot U. S. map on the playground, something students can enjoy for years to come. And members are planning a luncheon for the teachers during National Teacher Appreciation Week.
Another huge event, the Father/Daughter Dance—“A Knight to Remember”—is coming up soon. An Autism Awareness Project for the school is being headed up by one of our students, MaryAnn Murtha, and will occur during Autism Awareness Month. Also planned: the “Change War, raising funds for a good cause. At this time of year we make a monetary donation to a charity that makes a difference.
Elections for our 2009-2010 Builders Club board members was set for May, with leadership training to begin with our Kiwanis sponsors before school's end. And the club will be keeping up with its regularly scheduled events: the after-school reading hour, the collection of can tabs for Ronald McDonald House and visits to play BINGO with the residents of Clare Estates.
And finally, the club will celebrate with a yet-to-be-determined social, after a great year of achieving its goal: building competent, capable and compassionate leaders by helping them learn to help others!
St. Mary School
30 Elizabeth Street
Bordentown, New Jersey 08505
Faculty advisor: Jen Vare (email@example.com)
Kiwanis advisor: Jill Gilardi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If your Builders Club has a story to share, send us an e-mail.